From its Kalahari setting Jack’s Camp is an oasis of luxury and refinement, where you can indulge your senses between adventures in the desert and Makgadikgadi Pans, the largest salt pans in the world.
Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari Desert
Tented safari camp
Jack’s Camp Highlights
- Stunning spot by the world’s largest saltpans
- Blend of luxury and raw nature
- Walks with Bushman guides
- Spend time with wild meerkats
- Game drives to spot resident wildlife all year
- Great wet season game viewing with the zebra migration
- Scenic sundowners on the pans
- Tented swimming pool
Jack’s Camp overview
From its Kalahari setting Jack’s Camp is an oasis of luxury and refinement, where you can indulge your senses between adventures in the desert and Makgadikgadi Pans, the largest salt pans in the world. First established in the 1970s as a pioneering and rustic camp, today Jack’s recreates the style of a vintage 1940s safari camp.
Jack’s Camp is open all year, and for such a seemingly inhospitable, mainly arid habitat, you’ll be surprised at what you can see here. You’ll enjoy game drives which will open your eyes to this remote and sometimes harsh environment and unique ecosystem. Resident wildlife here includes aardvark, gemsbok, springbok, Kalahari lion and brown hyena, as well as meerkats which you can get very close to. Nature walks with native San Bushman trackers help you understand more about the interaction of man and nature and their interdependency. The camp also offers quad bike expeditions* on the Makgadikgadi Pans, exploring ancient archaeological sites and fossil beds. The camp can organise trips to Chapman’s Baobab, the oldest tree in Africa, which unfortunately fell to the ground in 2016.
In the wet season (December to March/April) tens of thousands of zebra and wildebeest are drawn to the pans which blossom with fresh pastures thanks to the rains. The large herds of course attract the predators, so this is a time of often dramatic game viewing. Migratory birds including flamingos also love the pans in the wet season.
When not out and about, the camp will make you feel very special. The large canvas guest tents are set among soaring palm trees. Each has an en-suite bathroom with indoor and outdoor showers. Luxury touches include 4-poster beds, Persian rugs and high quality bed linens. You’ll have a covered veranda looking out over the wilderness.
Communal areas are lavishly decorated and furnished, with beautiful rugs, muslin-draped walls adorned with old maps and photographs, harking back to a different era. There is an interesting collection of books which you’re welcome to look through. Top quality meals are served at the long table in the elegant dining room, where guides and camp managers join the guests. There’s a covered pool, which keeps cool even during the day and is ideal for a refreshing swim. The deck is a great place to chill and enjoy the vast vistas.
* See important note below in activities list.
Pom Pom Camp
- Dining room
- Lounge and Bar
- Covered swimming pool and deck
- Plunge pool
- Laundry service
- Game drives on Makgadikgadi Pans
- Walks led by San Bushman guides
- Go quad biking* on the pans in the dry season (mid-April to the end of October) Please note that helmets are not provided, and this negates your travel insurance. In all conscience we cannot recommend this activity until the health and safety policy of the owner of this lodges changes on this matter. If you have an accident you will not be covered at all. In all other aspects, this lodge is to be highly recommended.
- Witness herds of zebra and wildebeest in the wet season
- Observe meerkats at close proximity
- As of 2018 guests staying 3 nights receive a complimentary 20 minute helicopter ride. If staying fewer nights, a 30 minute flight can be booked at a cost of $250 per person (subject to change).
Tents are an eclectic blend of antique furnishings and décor including 4-poster beds, muslin walls and exotic rugs, combining to create vintage luxury in the desert.
- 10 guest tents
- En-suite bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers
- Private veranda
Children of all ages are welcome. Those with children aged 12 and under must book a private vehicle.
Jack’s Camp is managed by:
We know and love Botswana, and would be delighted to
help you plan your perfect Botswana Safari holiday.
Call 01473 599083 to speak to a Botswana travel specialists today.