Did you know?…
There are so many animals, birds, reptiles and insects that make their home in Botswana. We’ve gathered some facts about some of them, so you can impress your fellow travellers when on safari. OK, well maybe not impress, but at least share some fun snippets of information, plus you never know when they might crop up in a pub quiz!
Did you know….
- The elephant is the only animal that cannot jump.
- A giraffe has the same number of neck bones as a human being.
- A chameleon’s tongue is almost as long as its body.
- The cheetah is the fastest land animal reaching speeds of up to 65mph for short bursts.
- The female hyena is larger than the male.
- Mongooses live in abandoned burrows, they very rarely dig their own.
- A dungbeetle has an average lifespan of 3 to 5 years.
- The nocturnal aardvark can travel 16-30km a night as they go in search of food.
- Only the female mosquito sucks blood.
- As well as removing ticks and pests from their hosts fur, the Oxpecker also eats earwax.
- The aardwolf is a member of the hyena family.
- The black mamba gets its name not from its skin colour, but the colour of the inside of its mouth.
- The pattern on each wild dogs fur is unique, this allows us to identify individuals.
- A hippopotamus can hold its breath for 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the bushbuck is not the fastest runner they are in fact, good swimmers.
- Although it has a wingspan of around 7 feet, the secretary bird rarely flies.
“Adventure is worthwile”
- A cape buffalo may have poor eyesight and hearing but they have an excellent sense of smell.
- Jackals are monogamous.
Hopefully this has whet your appetite for more fun facts which we’ll share with you in the near future, in the meantime feel free to share any you have with us!