For me, the highlights of Botswana are:
- You can see the Big 5.
- The local people are very friendly, and visitors like learning about Botswana culture.
- The fact that Botswana is still a safe destination to travel to.
- The lodges are small so you get a more intimate and personal experience.
- It’s a great family destination.
- Its large elephant populations, mostly in Chobe and the Kwando/Linyanti areas.
Botswana is one of those countries that have not been fully developed, meaning that there is still a lot of deep wilderness to be explored. Botswana has the policy of high income, low volume, meaning that there are still a lot of areas that are still untouched and those areas that have been discovered are in private concession areas. The number of camps within Botswana is limited, offering you exclusivity in the different private concession areas.
Botswana also offers diversity in landscapes, ranging from swampy marshes, to the dry salt pans on the Makgadikgadi as well as the Kalahari Desert.
If I had to choose, my favourite place in the country would have to be Selinda.
In having such diversity in environments, this offers diversity in activities that are offered ranging from game drives, to boat cruises, to exploring the Okavango Delta in a dugout canoe (mokoro), to game walks. Some properties also offer canoeing and others horse riding.
So Botswana has something to offer everyone!Karen Reed